A weapon permit license in Deschutes County is only necessary for concealed weapons. Oregon gun laws allow anyone aged 18 or older to openly carry firearms without a license. However, local laws may place certain restrictions if you carry a weapon within their jurisdiction.
A weapon permit in Deschutes County is only needed if you wish to carry a concealed weapon. The permit is called a concealed handgun license and is only available to individuals aged 21 years or more.
To get a concealed handgun license, you must meet the age requirement and apply from the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Office is the only agency that can issue a concealed handgun license used in Deschutes County. Applicants must reside in the county and meet the age requirement to apply.
Here’s how to get your license with the following steps:
Make your Appointment
You have to make an appointment to get your license at the Sheriff’s Office location. Appointments for a concealed handgun license in Deschutes County are available on weekdays during the following hours – 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m., and 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Visit the office at:
63333 West Highway 20
Bend, OR 97703
Alternatively, you can make your appointment online by visiting the CHL online application appointments website. Click on the Services button and pick the New CHL permit option. On the Schedule page, choose an available appointment date and time convenient for you. Lastly, you must fill out the form that will appear with your full legal name, email, phone number, Oregon driver’s license number, and date of birth. Click the Submit button to confirm the appointment.
If you have any difficulties booking your appointment or you have inquiries, call the office at (541) 383-4425.
Attend your appointment with the required items
Upon successfully booking your appointment, you have to go to the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office on the appointment date with the required documents:
- A Concealed Handgun License Application, which you will fill with the required details
- Your current Oregon Driver’s License that contains your current residential address in Deschutes County (to meet the residency requirement).
- A stamped, self-addressed business-size envelope.
- Payment of $115.00, which you can pay with a debit card, check, money order, or in cash (exact amount for cash payment).
- Proof of firearms training.
- Citizenship proof: Acceptable documents include – a valid U.S passport, certificate of citizenship, an original certified copy of your birth certificate, and an original naturalized citizenship certificate.
The Sheriff’s Office also requires that you are competent in the correct handling of firearms. You can apply and complete the Sheriff’s Office CHL class to satisfy this requirement. Alternatively, you can also complete the Oregon State Sheriffs Association Online Concealed Handgun License Class.
Other methods approved by the law as a demonstration of firearms competence include:
- Completing a National Rifle Association (NRA) Firearms safety or training program that teaches handgun safety extensively.
- Certification in any firearms safety or training course on handgun safety, offered by a law enforcement agency, approved private instructor, community college, an organization, or firearm training school with qualified NRA or law enforcement trainers certified by the NRA or law enforcement agency, and available to the public.
- Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training program on handgun safety for security professionals, investigators, reserve police officers, or officers of a law enforcement agency.
- Proof that you know how to use a handgun through military experience or competing in organized shooting events. Military documents must state that your training involved a handgun or pistol.
- A substantial current permit from another county in the state.
Assuming you fulfill any of the previously mentioned necessities, you can effectively acquire your permit in Deschutes County. The Sheriff’s Office will allow or deny your license within a 45-day period from your appointment date. Your approved license will be sent to you via mail. Note that the use of the permit is to always have it with you whenever you carry a concealed weapon in public.
A Sheriff is in the position to deny a CHL request on sensible grounds. For example, the Sheriff can establish that the individual might pose a danger to themselves or any other individual. This is normal in the event that the said person has previous experience showing multiple violent behaviors or unfit mental health.
If you think the Sheriff denied you unfairly or have an exemption, you can appeal the decision at the appropriate court.
How Long is the Permit Valid For?
Once you successfully get your weapon permit in Deschutes County, it has a 4-year use term before you have to renew. However, violation of the firearm laws can get your license revoked. You are likely to receive a notice from the Sheriff’s Office as a reminder.
You can begin the renewal and proceed at least 90 days to the expiration of the permit. The renewal process costs $75.
Is another Oregon County CHL permit valid in Deschutes County?
If you got a permit from another county in the state, you can apply for a transfer process to get a valid one for Deschutes County. The transfer process is similar to that of getting a new permit. You will book your appointment at the Sheriff’s Office or online and visit the office on the scheduled date with the needed documents. The Sheriff’s Office will issue a new permit the same day as your appointment. Transfer permit cost $15 for the process.