Loss & Restore Civil Rights

Posted on October 10, 2022Comments Off on Loss & Restore Civil Rights

When an individual is convicted of a felony in Oregon, they automatically lose their civil rights. This includes the right to vote, the right to serve on a jury, and the right to possess a firearm. To have these rights restored, the individual must go through a process called loss & restoration.

Reasons Why Civil Rights Are Taken Away

In Oregon, a person’s civil rights can be taken away for several reasons, including:

  • A conviction for a felony offense
  • A finding of mental incompetence
  • A finding of being a habitual offender

Once a person’s civil rights have been taken away, they can only be restored through a complex legal process. This process is different in every county, and can often be difficult to navigate without the help of an attorney.

Why Would Someone Want to Restore Their Civil Rights?

There are many reasons why someone might want to restore their civil rights. In some cases, it may be necessary to get certain types of jobs or professional licenses. In others, it may simply be a way to regain a sense of civic engagement and participate fully in society.

How Do I Know If I Am Eligible to Restore My Rights?

If you want to have your civil rights restored, you must first complete your sentence, including any probation or parole. Once you have completed your sentence, you may begin the process of restoring your civil rights. The first step is to contact the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office and request an application for restoration of civil rights. The sheriff’s office is located at

63333 W. Hwy 20
Bend, OR 97703
Phone 541-388-6655
Email the Sheriff’s Office

What Happens Once I Submit My Application?

Upon receipt of your application, the sheriff’s office will conduct a criminal background check. Once the background check is complete and it is determined that you are eligible to have your civil rights restored, the sheriff’s office will forward your application to the Deschutes County Circuit Court.

How to Restore Civil Rights in Deschutes County, Oregon

The process for restoring civil rights in Deschutes County, Oregon is outlined in Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 137.225.

The first step in this process is to complete all aspects of their sentence, including any prison time, probation, and parole. Once they have done this, they can begin the formal application process.

To apply for restoration of civil rights, the individual must submit an Application for Restoration of Civil Rights form to the Deschutes County Circuit Court. They will also need to provide a petition with the Circuit Court in the county where you reside. This petition must include:

  • Your name, address, and date of birth
  • The offense that resulted in the loss of your civil rights
  • The date of your conviction (if applicable)
  • A statement indicating that you have been crime-free for at least 10 years (if applicable)
  • A statement indicating that you have fulfilled all the requirements of your sentence (if applicable)
  • A statement indicating that you have paid all fines, restitution, and other financial obligations related to your conviction (if applicable)
  • A certification from the Department of Corrections that you have completed any required treatment or counseling programs (if applicable)

If the court finds that you meet all the eligibility requirements, they will set a hearing date. At this hearing, you will have an opportunity to present evidence and testimony in support of your petition. The court will take into consideration the nature of the offense, how long ago it occurred, and the individual’s criminal history since then. The court will then decide on whether or not to restore your civil rights.

If the court grants restoration of civil rights, the individual will once again be able to vote, serve on a jury, and possess a firearm. They will also have access to other rights and privileges that they were previously denied.

The loss & restoration process can be lengthy and complicated. However, it is important to remember that everyone has the right to have their civil rights restored if they have truly rehabilitated themselves. If you or someone you know is interested in going through this process, please contact the Deschutes County Circuit Court for more information.

I Have Been Convicted of a Misdemeanor; Do I Need to Restore My Civil Rights?

If you have been convicted of a misdemeanor, you have not lost your civil rights and therefore do not need to restore them. However, if you have been convicted of a felony in another state, you may still be required to restore your rights in Oregon.

Get Help From an Attorney

The process of restoring civil rights in Oregon can be complex and difficult to navigate without the help of an attorney. If you are considering restoring your civil rights, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney who can help you through the process.

Comments Off on Loss & Restore Civil Rights